Vulture Fiction

Original fiction from Vulture 6

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

USS LOCKRIDGE (DD-5314) Status Report 25APR2206

DATE: 17APR2206
FROM: COMMANDING OFFICER, USS LOCKRIDGE DD-5314
TO: COMNAVFOR SIX
SUBJ: Status Report 17APR2206

Admiral Thompson,


I hesitate to contact you in this matter, but it has been more than two month since the arrival of the salvaged PT-2500 main engine at Henderson Naval Shipyard.  In February Superintendent McVickers had assured me that it would be installed no later than 15MAR2206.   All other repairs have been made including the Mk-113 launcher.  We have had constant drills and I feel LOCKWOOD is read to return to service, except for the as yet to be installed engine.

I have had my crew cross training with other ships at Henderson to keep them in fighting trim.  Most of our engineering gang has even spent down time with the yard workers to help expedite repairs of other vessels.  I have repeatedly asked Mr. McVickers for a new date of installation with no success in finding out when the project will be completed.  He has suggested sealing the hull access for the engine and using LOCKRIDGE to protect Henderson NSY until the repairs can be undertaken.  I disagree with Mr. McVickers on this as LOCKRIDGE is a destroyer and would be best utilized in combat instead of being used as a glorified patrol boat for a rear area base.  

I am not writing to complain about the quality or services offered by the Yard.  I am formally asking for permission to utilize my crew to install the needed engine ourselves.  My CHENG has studied the plans with his staff and they feel that it can be done without using many resources of the yard itself.  Besides drawing on supplies, the only resource we would need is the use of one of the heavy lifting cranes for an estimated 6-8 hours.  If Henderson can not spare a crane, USS PUGET SOUND is berthed next to LOCKWOOD and has several cranes that would be sufficient for the task.  

Our request is made because my crew is eager to rejoin the war effort and to support NAVFOR6 in any way possible.

I eagerly await your answer.

Respectfully,
Fredrick J. G. Holmes
CDR, USN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home